Some time ago I used IHelpYou forums to learn about SEO. Not been online for ages.
Today is my birthday, and I received several nice (obviously automated) reminders from some forums to return. For example;
- “We at Family Tree Forum would like to wish you a happy birthday today!” - I vaguely remember joining them, think that I found the whole thing a bit complicated.
- “We at UK Business Forums would like to wish you a happy birthday today!” – I use them a little, an excellent forum for UK businesses. Had some good advice from them.
- “We at UK-MMA THE UK’S MMA FORUM UKMMA would like to wish you a happy birthday today!” – Not been along for ages, good forum for MMA fans.
- “We at AVForums.com would like to wish you a happy birthday today! Many happy returns from Stuart Wright and the team.” – Nice, used them a few times for advice on my home cinema and most recently my Humax Freesat box.
- “We at GardenBanter.co.uk would like to wish you a happy birthday today!” – This will seem crazy, but I was trying to work out if it was possible to grow yams in the UK (my wife loves yams). Seems it is too cold (although someone mentioned Japanese yams ….)
- “We at Google Community would like to wish you a happy birthday today!” – Another group I have not been along to for a while. SEO advice etc. I think.
Now, all of these (maybe not the Gardening one) I am tempted to return to now that I have been reminded. But how did the once popular SEO forum, IHelpYou.com, greet me on my birthday?
“You have received a new private message at SEO Best Practices Search Engine Forums from Quadrille, entitled “You have received an infraction at SEO Best Practices Search Engine Forums. You have received an infraction at SEO Best Practices Search Engine Forums. Reason: Multiple Spammer”.
Well, that is nice. Not been there in ages, but certainly never spammed them, just asked for advice I think, and probably gave a little too. I remember it as being a good SEO forum with some knowledgeable people. Now I am not so sure!
I tried to log in, but I am blocked. Permanently. On trying to log in to find out more, I get this message:
“You have been banned for the following reason: No Recent Forum Contribution. Date the ban will be lifted: Never”
So whereas some forums have wished me a happy birthday and kindly reminded me that they still exist, I Help You (or not, as the case may be!) just ban you, accuse you of being a spammer, provide no way to get in contact (the email started with the friendly greeting; “DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL!”).
What lovely people they are! Thanks guys.